Monday, March 06, 2006

Lucky Chap

Getting into WIPRO was tremendous luck. I used to consider myself as unlucky guy. Many times my close friends used to hear "I am not lucky" from me. But now I don't think the same. And this makes me to tell you the story of how I got into wipro. On every step of campus selection procedure of wipro I was aided by my luck.

We three friends, Samir Hemant and Myself studied together. Actually from last 6 years were studying together. Ya, they are my classmates from my graduation. These two guys are too good in solving puzzles. They have completely solved both the puzzle books by Shakuntala Devi. I used to hear them keenly and interrupt them with some foolish solution inputs from my side.

Infosys came and we solved almost 9 out of 10 puzzles(correctly). God save that company. I know they must be regretting by not selecting anyone of us. Our only hope was infosys, as other companies had technical means programming tests and interviews along with aptitude tests, which I feared most. Reason is simple, I have studied programming languages but not practised a single time. The only programme I wrote on my own was "Welcome to C programming."

Samir was preparing C on the eve of 16 of August, 05, the day wipro visited our campus. He and Prashant (another genious) were discussing some cases of infinite loop. Prashant told three-four cases in which programme will go in infinite loop. After some time Samir told me to read at least something about pointers. So I took Balaguruswami and started my C study. I just read the definition of pointers, something reference to the address and slept.

Next day morning with despaired hearts we all went to attend the ppt (pre placement talk). Then started the real gamble. Written test, MCQ. Aptitude was as hard as a 10th class paper. All of us were already preparing for GRE so english was better than what we had before 1 year. 15 questions were based on unix, object oriented programming and C. Fortunately two questions in C were about infinite loop. For questions on unix and OOP I used all my knowledge gained through commonsense and literal meaning of the words like 'inheritance'. Also some artificial intelligence. For example, if answers of previous two questions were 'c', and I am confused between 'c' and 'd' options for next question then I wrote answer 'd' , using law of averages. I thought the way examiner will think.

The names of the shortlisted students were to be announced at 1.30 pm same day. We, with our unfavorable experiences earlier, were sleeping lazily in my room. Finally aroung 1.30 pm we decided to go to see the results. It took atleast 10 minutes to reach to the notice board through the crowd there. Myself and Samir were shortlisted for the interview. And Samir's interview was first to be in whole list of 150 shortlisted people. And It was just in 10 minutes after we saw the results. We ran back fast to our rooms, got dressed quickly and again went to the hall where interviews were to be held.

Hearts were pumping. But we were confident this time. It was our first interview for job. We never knew it was going to change the course of our life. Samir's name was called. First interview was technical and then HR. I was watching samir giving answers confidently. After half an hour, he was handed over a form. By the time 4-5 company officials started conducting interviews simultaniously. I saw some students were getting the application form and some were coming out directly.

Samir came out finishing his HR interview and looked relaxed and convinced about his performance. Then what he told was a wrong 'un (googly) for me. Only those students were given the form for HR interview, who cleared the technical one. My heart again started beating hastily but I told myself I have to get that form. Luckily, mind you luckily same person took my technical interview who interviewed Samir. My technical interview continued for 30 minutes. I was surprised that I was perfectly answering each question. Rather I should say It was best of me than perfect. Then he started asking questions on C. First question he asked was ," Do you know Pointers?" with slight smile on my face i told him, "yes". Only question he asked then was "what is the definition of pointer?". I need not tell the whole story.

After lingering for so much time on my extracurricular activities, he asked me about location preferances. I guessed now he will surely give me green signal for HR interview. I proudly told,"I have been out of my home for last 6 years already and I don't have any reservations about place." HR interview lasted not more than 15 minutes and I was very comfortable. Poor chap was asking about current sports updates. Earlier night I was watching Holland vs Greece Europian Soccer league and saw some news about West Indies vs Aussie cricket match. He said "Thank you".

Samir was waiting for me. We were happy with our show. Anxiously waiting for next day morning, we spent our night. Alwhole night some strays thoughts were coming in my mind. I was thinking how I will feel if samir only get selected? or what if both are sidelined?

Next day morning also we were curious but didn't dared to go and see the result.It was Avinash, who came with good news that we both are selected. With full of enthusiam I ran to Samir's room. I tried to deceive him with false news that nobody is selected. But He came to know from my bright face that I was cheating him. Then we rushed to our campus to see our names written on notice board. Our placement officer congratulated us and rest is what they say is history.---abhijit

2 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger Kadambari said...

nice one..u seem to be having that day imprinted in your head so well that every feeling of yours is brought out very beautifully..

hwz work now??wipro???..

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger abhijit said...

@kadambari: yeah some moments I cannot forget. And like me everbody may be anxious about first job.

Well work exciting but still repeatitious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check from where blog is accessed.

Locations of visitors to this page